Stony Plain, Alberta
|Avg. house price:|
|Avg. condo price:|
|Avg. land price:|
Stony Plain is a town in the Edmonton Capital Region of Alberta, Canada within Parkland County. It is located west of Edmonton adjacent to the City of Spruce Grove.
Stony Plain is known as "The Town with the Painted Past" due to the amount of painted murals in town. The town was originally known as Dog Rump Creek.
The name of the town is believed to have come from one of two possible origins. The first is that the Stoney people camped in the area historically. The second possibility is that Dr. James Hector, a geologist on the Palliser Expedition, noticed boulders scattered across the area. The official name for the settlement was adopted in 1892. Alex McNabb and McPherson were the first homesteaders in the area.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Stony Plain recorded a population of 17,189 living in 6,641 of its 6,954 total private dwellings, a 14.2% change from its 2011 population of 15,051. With a land area of 35.72 km2 (13.79 sq mi), it had a population density of 481.2/km2 (1,246.3/sq mi) in 2016.
The population of the Town of Stony Plain according to its 2015 municipal census is 16,127, a 13.8% change from its 2008 municipal census population of 14,177.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Stony Plain had a population of 15,051 living in 5,820 of its 6,204 total dwellings, a 21.7% change from its 2006 population of 12,363. With a land area of 35.61 km2 (13.75 sq mi), it had a population density of 422.7/km2 (1,094.7/sq mi) in 2011. At its current population, Stony Plain is one of the largest towns in the province and is eligible for city status. According to Alberta's Municipal Government Act, a town is eligible for city status when it reaches 10,000 residents.
The region is dominated by agricultural and other resource-based industry.
Arts and Culture
Stony Plain is home to many colourful murals that depict important figures and events of local history. These murals have earned the town the nickname "The Town with the Painted Past." The Town held a mural project in 2006 where artists were selected through open competition to paint two murals. The Parkland Potters Guild & Crooked Pot Gallery is also located within Stony Plain.
Cultural institutions in the town include the Stony Plain Public Library and the Multicultural Heritage Centre.
Stony Plain celebrates Farmers' Days in the first week of June each year, complete with the Farmers' Days Parade, the Kinsmen rodeo, a pancake breakfast and fair grounds. The town also plays host to the Great White North Triathlon in the first week of July.
In the summer, Stony Plain hosts two major festivals — the Blueberry Bluegrass and Country Music Festival, which is held in early August and is the largest bluegrass event in western Canada, and the Cowboy Poetry and Country Music Gathering held in late August.
In December, the town sets up a large Christmas tree on Main Street and is lit throughout the Christmas season. To celebrate New Year’s Eve, the town holds its Family Fest event at Rotary Park. Family Fest features ice skating on an outdoor pond, hot chocolate and fireworks.
The Town of Stony Plain jointly owns and operates the TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre sports complex located within neighbouring Spruce Grove. The town is also home to the Multicultural Heritage Centre, the Pioneer Museum and has three major parks (Shikaoi, Whispering Waters and Rotary), a skate park, a BMX park and a green path system running through town.
The town is governed by one mayor and six councillors.
*Source - Wikipedia
Stony Plain, Alberta - Listings for sale
Hwy 16A & Glory Hills Road: Stony Plain Vacant Lot for sale : MLS®# E4145022$6,304,950Single FamilyCourtesy of Sweg S Deol of Century 21 All Stars Realty Ltd
- MLS® Num:
- E4145022140.11 acres, more of less, located in the SE Corner of Hwy 16A & Glory Hills Rd (RR 11) in Stony Plain. This property is ready for immediate development. The area structure plan of this has already been approved. The zonings in the ASP are commercial, business, and residential (includes apartments & condos). The sanitary sewer line is already gone through these lands and offer services required to develop this property are also located in close proximity. Excellent parcel of land for immediate development. More details
52529 Glory Hills Road: Rural Parkland County House for sale : MLS®# E4108909$2,350,000Country ResidentialCourtesy of Arlie E Jespersen of Century 21 Leading
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 1,870 sq. ft.174 m24.97 acres with prime highway frontage on Hwy 16A on Rge Rd 11 (Glory Hills Road) only 1 mile west of the Stony Plain overpass. 463 ft frontage and 467 ft depth, located within the municipality of Stony Plain. Zoned highway commercial, it is on high ground and features a 40x60 shop with 2 16' high doors, main floor plus 2 mezzanine offices, stock rooms, bathroom, sump pump, plus 2nd level emergency exit. There are two residences on the yard: a 1678 sqft house (older home connected to a mobile home with a total of 4 bedrooms & 2 baths) and a 952 sqft mobile (with 2 bedrooms & 1 bath); double garage; single garage; 816 sqft office building; older barn; RV storage lots. The office building also has a concession area. Securely fully fenced with chain link and a gate. Option to build a car dealership, hotel, RV storage, retail, etc.! A significant opportunity to develop your business in this prime highway location with high visibility and a wide variety of options for use! More details
RR280 South of Hwy 16: Rural Parkland County Rural Land/Vacant Lot for sale : MLS®# E4157847$1,000,000Rural Land/Vacant LotCourtesy of Sweg S Deol of Century 21 All Stars Realty Ltd
- MLS® Num:
- E415784791.12 acres, more or less, located on RR 280 (Golf Course Rd) between Hwy 16 & Hwy 16A in Parkland County. Excellent location, easy access from Hwy 16A, Hwy 16 and Hwy 779 (48 St. - Fifth Meridian). Although at the present this property is agricultural but in the Fifth Meridian ASP it is designated as industrial lands and in the Parkland County's new MDP, this area (including this property) is a major employment area and it is scheduled to be developed as an industrial developments. More details
RGE RD 10 & TWP 514: Rural Parkland County Rural Land/Vacant Lot for sale : MLS®# E4162971$960,000Rural Land/Vacant LotCourtesy of Edward G Gebran of MaxWell Polaris
- MLS® Num:
- E4162971155.10 Acres of Vacant Land. Straight South of Stony Plain. Great for Farming, or for long term hold. More details
5590 CREEKSIDE Point: Stony Plain House for sale : MLS®# E4162041$875,000Single FamilyCourtesy of Tyson V Moroz of Royal Lepage Noralta Real Estate
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 2,001 sq. ft.186 m2Extraordinary luxury bungalow located in scenic area and only a 4-iron shot from the golf course. Featuring a driveway large enough to store R.V's and a west facing backyard backing onto a permanent green space. Extensively renovated by Aquarian and featured in Home Decor & Renovations Magazine. This modern luxury home features all the fine details an experienced home owner wants. Featuring valuated ceilings, engineered hardwood flooring, quartz counters, butlers pantry, Miele appliances, dual wide fridge & wine fridge, reverse osmosis, central A/C, cork flooring, custom built California closets, stucco exterior and exterior window roller shutters, the list goes on. The master bathroom and basement feature heated floors. Comes with a high end theater room and related equipment. Attached to a 26' x 43' heated garage, large enough to squeeze in 4 cars. The backyard features a two tiered deck with hot tub, shed, aluminum railing and concrete fire pit area. Very rare and immaculate home. More details